Toothache Remedies at Home
Toothache is very common now days because most of us usually fail to maintain a good oral hygiene. Toothache sometimes becomes too severe for us and we run to see a dentist for fixing it. We must not ignore a toothache at anytime. Many causes of such an ache are cracked tooth, exposed tooth root, jaw malfunctioning, spasms of muscles surrounding our oral cavity or a simple cracked tooth due to any trauma.
A toothache may be mild in the beginning and becomes severe if we keep on ignoring it for a long time. Sometimes the pain can be excruciating and sharp. Such toothaches generally get aggravated while eating any cold or hot food items or beverages.
Among many causes of a toothache, dental caries are the most common cause. Dental caries create a cavity on the tooth surface through which micro-organisms seep into the tooth and cause wide damage which includes damage to the enamel, dentin and the pulp chamber.
Micro-organisms feed on the food debris and cause fermentation products that settle in these cavities and become the substrate for other new bacteria as well. Fermented products are often acids that dissolve the tooth structures. Hence, it is sometimes difficult for us to make out the actual cause of a toothache. Here are a few medications which we can follow as toothache remedies, until we visit a dentist.
- Stop consuming hot, sweet or cold beverages or any food items.
- Always keep cloves in your house. It is the best emergency remedy for a toothache. You can rub the clove oil on the tooth or chew the clove. One can also mix the grinded clove with peanut butter for quick relief. Chew and keep the clove on the affected area for some moment and you will get relief soon. Clove releases oil while chewing that gives relief from pain.
- Salt water solution gargling is also one of the best remedy for a toothache.
- Turmeric can also be used in a stick form which has to be grinded into powder and used as a tooth powder.
- If you do not have turmeric or clove, ginger can also be used. Chew a small piece of ginger and the juice released from it will reduce the pain.
- Fresh Star fruit juice will also reduce the toothache.
- A vanilla drop over the affected area is also one of the remedy for a toothache.
- Oregano oil is a useful substitute of clove oil or ginger.
- An anti-septic mouthwash such as Listerine is useful in minimizing the toothache.
- The last toothache remedy is a pain-killer drug such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Even though, these toothache remedies cure the worst toothache within minutes, always prevention is better than cure. Hence, always keep your oral cavity clean by brushing twice a day and swishing your mouth whenever you have any kind of food because food debris will be the substrate for dental caries causing micro-organisms.